~ How To Projects ~
Gift Giving Buckets
Click below for more
Craft Projects and Patterns
~ Projects By Theme ~
Gift Giving Buckets
- Any Size Coffee Cans
- Old Newspaper
- Hammer and Large Nail
- Scrap Wood Pieces (small enough to fit into the coffee can)
- High Gloss Spray Paint
- Spray Can of Sealer
- Acrylic Paints
- Paint Brush or Sponges
- Stencils (optional)
- Wired Ribbon
- Clean out the coffee can.
- Find the seam in the side of the can, this will be the back of the bucket.
- To make holes for the handle, lay the can down on one of its sides.
- Stack scrap wood into the can until it reaches the other side.
- About 1/2 inch from the top edge of the can, drive the nail just through the can and barely into the wood.
- Wiggle the nail back out of the can and wood.
- Turn the can over and do the same thing to the other side.
- Using pliers, flatten the sharp edges around the holes, inside the can.
- Outside or in a well ventilated area, lay out newspaper and put the can in the middle of it, open side down.
- Spray paint the entire can lightly* and let it dry. (*Important: You will need to hold the spray paint at least 1 foot from the can you are spraying and only spray on one light coat at a time. Too much paint at one time will make it run.)
- Continue to add coats of spray paint until the color is solid and even.
- Using acrylic paints, decorate your gift bucket. Paint freehand, or use stencils.
- Outside or in a well ventilated area again, lay out newspaper and put the can in the middle of it, open side down.
- Now spray it with a coat of sealer. Let dry completely.
- Cut a piece of wired ribbon the desired length for a handle plus 4 inches.
- Fold or bunch together one end of the ribbon and slip it through the hole from the outside to the inside.
- Tie a knot in the end of the ribbon about 1 inch from the end.
- Tie another knot over that one so that the knot is bigger.
- Trim the end of the ribbon up to 1/2 inch from the knot.
- Carefully pull the ribbon back out of the can until the knot rests snugly against the hole on the inside of the can.
- Repeat on the other side.